Saturday, August 30, 2008

Shri Krishna Matha, Udupi

I was on my way to somewhere aimlessly and all of a sudden I blessed with something that I realized later is nothing but miracle. It so happened with me again that I was landed in place where I could discover the meaning of peace and happiness together. I was left alone, with all unknown faces around me, completely clueless, no idea whatsoever to where to go and what to do but my journey was never so meaningful ever. As said - god had HIS own plans and after a travel of 6 hrs I reached Udupi, a place well known for its temples. I welcomed by one of the pleasantly weather that one can ever imagine in that region. It was a sunny and bright day outside with a breeze of relief. I jumped out of the bus quickly to take the walk and then searching for the destination that brought me here from so far ...

Now putting those memories in words here is something I really wanted for long time but it seems to be a not so easy task for me, whatever it maybe I made an effort not to show off it. Those are the moments or I can say the memories that drags you back and when you find that you are completely lost with it, again there is this thing known as miracle happened to you and put everything right on its place. Nevertheless, you see life is as beautiful as before and thank every single thing around you for making it so blissful for you.

Udupi Krishna Temple, otherwise know as Udupi Krishna Matha is a very popular Hindu temple in India. I have copied the information from Wikipedia that gives a good insight about the temple and the history associated with it.
The Krishna Mutt was founded by the Vaishnavite saint Shri Madhvacharya in the 13th century. He was the founder of the Dvaita school of Vedanta.

Legend has it that once Kanakadasa, a worshipper who was so pious and devoted to Lord Krishna, was not allowed entry into the temple. It didn't upset him, but instead made him pray with intense devotion. Lord Krishna was so pleased that he made the statue of himself turn around to allow the disciple to gaze upon his heavenly form through a small window at the back of the mutt (matha). Till today, devotees still worship Lord Krishna by praying through the same window that Kanakadasa was blessed with a view.

The daily sevas (offerings to god) and administration of the Krishna Mutt are managed by the Ashta Mathas (eight temples). Each of the Ashta Mathas performs temple management activities for two years in a cyclical order. These eight Mathas are Pejavara, Puttige, Palimaru, Adamaru, Sodhe, Kaniyooru, Shirur and Krishnapura.

Here you go with few of the pictures that I have taken in that short stay near the temple. Since cameras are strictly not allowed inside the temple I didn't miss any chance of clicking the pictures from the outside.

The main entrance to the temple.

The chariot used for the bi-yearly festival, I spotted it just outside the temple.

Walking around the temple was a different experience for me and exploring the shops near the temple brought me a renewed sense of a happy customer.

7 comments:

Ash said...

Lovely post. I've been to the Udipi Krishna temple some 8-10 years ago.

Beautiful post and photos.

alok said...

@ash - Thank you so much.

indicaspecies said...

I've been to this quite a few times and if I pass by Udupi another time, will not hesitate to be there again. Lovely pictures.

alok said...

celine, yeah! sure :) and thanks for the comment.

Cuckoo said...

Never been there but I think I should keep this in mind.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with someone born in Udupi.. met him a few months after my 1st visit to Udupi.. i think it was destiny- God willed for us to meet but don't know if we will get married- his parents are against us.
What should I make of the whole thing? I hope Krishna is kind enough to bless us that we get married soon..

Unknown said...

It was really nice reading your blog post. Blessed with some of the best of nature's bounty and the famed Krishna Temple, Udupi zaps the senses. For travellers, there are various hotels in Udupi to choose from. These places of stay ensure a comfortable stay to their guests while providing them great services.